Rita McGrath is a longtime professor at Columbia Business School and one of the world’s top experts on innovation and growth. She is also one of the most regularly published authors in the Harvard Business Review.
She is consistently ranked among the top 10 management thinkers in the world and was ranked #1 for strategy by Thinkers50.
Seeing Around Corners: How To Spot Inflection Points Before They Happen
Rita’s talk will provide an overview of 8 practices that leaders can utilize to increase their awareness of shifts in the business environment/pending inflection points and help you to capitalize on them.
- Having mechanisms for direct, personal experience at the edges when the organization will often try to prevent you from seeing the reality
- Having diverse perspectives weighing in on key decisions
- Empowering and entrusting smaller agile teams rather than committees
- Having mechanisms and resources available to place little bets on experiments
- Regularly ‘get out of the building’ to gain perspective rather than being chained to your desk
- Structuring incentives that promote truth-telling rather than the opposite
- Avoiding denial of negative or disconfirming evidence
- William Gibson, a science fiction writer, famously said “the future is already here – it just isn’t evenly distributed yet” – so talk to the future (example: if you want to know what 20 year olds are going to be like in 10 years, talk to 10 year olds today!)