At Business of Software Conference USA 2015, Alex Osterwalder described the key steps in designing an effective organizational culture.
In most companies, there is a gap between the actual culture and the desired culture.
“Your company’s culture is your operating system” – Dave Gray.
Why does culture matter and how can we design it?
Potential Culture Issues
- Loudest people get promoted
- Bonuses not correlated to current performance
- Culture of fear
- Managers don’t give feedback
What does a great company look like?
- Makes a profit
- Gets customers excited
- Gets employees excited
- Makes the world better
“The world is full of bankrupt companies with world-class cultures. Culture does not make a company” – Ben Horowitz
This applies to startups, but existing companies can suffer dramatically from bad culture.
- Used to systematically design organizational cultures
- Based in research on culture development and success
- Uses experimentation and testing to design better organizational cultures
AMA Held January 2017
Get Weekly Advice From Software Experts
Every week we send out a brand new talk from Business of Software Conferences. Upcoming releases include great talks from April Dunford, Jason Fried, and Dharmesh Shah. Don't miss out - sign up here: