At Business of Software Conference USA 2015, Alex Osterwalder described the key steps in designing an effective organizational culture.
In most companies, there is a gap between the actual culture and the desired culture.
“Your company’s culture is your operating system” – Dave Gray.
Why does culture matter and how can we design it?
Potential Culture Issues
- Loudest people get promoted
- Bonuses not correlated to current performance
- Culture of fear
- Managers don’t give feedback
What does a great company look like?
- Makes a profit
- Gets customers excited
- Gets employees excited
- Makes the world better
“The world is full of bankrupt companies with world-class cultures. Culture does not make a company” – Ben Horowitz
This applies to startups, but existing companies can suffer dramatically from bad culture.
- Used to systematically design organizational cultures
- Based in research on culture development and success
- Uses experimentation and testing to design better organizational cultures
AMA Held January 2017
Get Weekly Advice From Software Experts
Fresh talks on entrepreneurship, product, marketing, leadership, hiring, and more dropping each week. Upcoming talk releases include:
- Jason Fried (CEO/Founder, Basecamp & Hey) on launching Hey
- April Dunford (Author, Obviously Awesome) on why you should stop selling your product
- Dharmesh Shah (CTO/Founder, Hubspot) on facing fears as an entrepreneur
Don't miss out - sign up now: