Ten Rules for Successful Products | Don Norman | BoS USA 2009

Design for how your customers really are, not how you hope they are. Don Norman, author, The Design of Everyday Things, speaks at Business of Software Conference 2009.

Get your Fall BoS Conference Ticket

27 - 29 September 2021, Online

BoS Conferences are the events professional CEOs and serious founders attend to learn how to build, run, and scale successful software companies.

First batch of speakers and sessions have been announced. Attendance is limited to 300 spots.

"The only place where I feel, professionally, amongst my peers." — Scott Farquhar, founder and CEO of Atlassian

"Software people of the world: If you haven't been to a @bosconference, you should go." — Dharmesh Shah, founder and CEO of Hubspot

8 responses to “Ten Rules for Successful Products | Don Norman | BoS USA 2009”

1. markee174 says:

Will you be following Don’s advice and printing the BoS name tags people wear round their necks on both sides?

2. Jack says:

This was an awesome video (as was the other one you sent an email about, some time back).
    I had to take a break at the 38 minute mark to get some work done, but I came back to it this morning to finish.
    If this is the caliber of speakers you consistently get for the conferences, I’m going to have to find a way to eventually attend.

3. Tim says:

See, I would watch it, but I don’t have headphones or speakers. Plus getting information from a video is far harder than getting it from text. Give me a transcript and I’ll happily read it.

4. Accessibility matters says:

I’d love to watch it, but the quality’s too poor for lip reading and there don’t seem to be subtitles available.
    Embedded video is probably the single least accessible online communications medium. But I guess you’re too busy to transcribe 5 minutes of content, so I’ll never find out what you wanted to communicate.

5. This video is great. I think it was very helpful. (and I don’t need a transcript) Only watched the first half but very interesting.
    I think Don Norman is right and the approach to our customers does need to change. And yes I agree we need to approach them as intelligent human beings.
    Thanks for these post. I am working internationally now so obviously I can’t attend these conferences, but the highlights are wonderful. Ty!

6. nalply says:

I second that accessibility matters. What if Dan Brown spoke Cherokee? Then almost everybody would have requested a translation. So I request a transcript, as I am Deaf.
    Thank you for providing a transcript.

7. Paul D. Waite says:

I’m just going to add another whiny voice here, but I would watch it except I’m on my iPad and the video doesn’t seem to work there.