Joel Spolsky’s talk at Business of Software 2008 on Being Number One

9 comments

Being Number One

• How come you can recognise the tune of the number one song of 1968 as being Hey Jude by the Beatles, but not the number two song?
  • Why has the iPod had the success that the Zune has been denied?
  • Why are Herman Miller chairs cool, but their functionally equivalent competitors lame?
  • Why is Ruby hip but Java square?
  • Why are clean code, usability and basic marketing just hygiene factors?
  • How come they can get you to the number two spot, but not to number one?

In this video from Business of Software 2008, Joel explains the three important factors behind getting to number one. Along the way, he talks about anthropology, psychology, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

And kittens.

Get on the BoS Conference Mailing List

Be first to see new videos, join free speaker hangouts, stay up to date on BoS Conference programmes and a regular dose of thought provoking ideas from around the web that will make you look smarter at home & at work.

Unsubscribe anytime. We will never sell your email address.

Next Events:

Business of Software Conference USA 2016

You can find out more at the Business of Software conference website. I reckon they’ll sell out this week, so if you want to come then act fast.

Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on Twitter (I’m @neildavidson).

9 responses to “Joel Spolsky’s talk at Business of Software 2008 on Being Number One”

1. Slartibartfast says:

Nice talk, but why does Joel contradicts himself every two sentences?

2. diego says:

Nice video, but the important thing is the slides and the audio, not the audio and pictures of Joel

3. Brian Manahan says:

This presentation is heavy on jokes and light on content. Unfortunately, the jokes don’t really carry it.

4. Barry says:

Yes, I’d rather have an MP3 which I could listen to while working.

5. game says:

I don’t understand what joel is trying to say it is so confusing man and there are some repetitive santances.

6. Rick Jensen says:

Glad I didn’t pay for this crap. Joel says Firefox is #1, them lambastes Windows for asking you to update Windows when you first start it up. This is exactly what Firefox does Joel. He acts like its Windows fault that the user needs a USB cable to connect their camera to their PC and somehow Windows causes you to spill your coffee. Geez! Joel I know you’ve written some good things in the past, but comedy, and possibly analogies, are not your forte.

7. Hello I like this comment”Windows fault that the user needs a USB cable to connect their camera to their PC and somehow Windows causes you to spill your coffee”

8. I pod got success due to its marketing and brand value. well its good to see this post