As you probably already know, Lightning Talks are an important part of the Business of Software experience. They follow a simple format – every speaker gets 15 slides and 30 seconds per slide to talk about a subject of their choice. The slides advance automatically.
If you would like to do a Lightning Talk at Business of Software in 2011, you are probably clinically insane. However, sane or otherwise, if you want to do a Lightning Talk, here is what to do before August 10th:
- Upload a video of yourself talking about what you would like to talk about in a Lightning Talk to YouTube or some swanky video hosting service like Blip.tv, Vimeo or whatever.
- The video should be between 2 and 4 minutes in length and you should be prepared for the possibility that the video will be posted on the blog at some point.
- Send us a note containing your contact details (firstname.lastname@example.org), with a link to the video.
- We will review all of the submissions, and pick what we feel will be the most appropriate ones, to talk live at BoS 2011.
- Remember to submit by August 10th.
DO NOT submit a Lightning Talk on behalf of anyone else especially if you are a Speaker Agent or PR agency working for a really important CEO. We only want submissions from people that care enough to do their own sutff. This is NOT a chance to shill your company, or a company/person you work for, this is a chance to stand up in front of a bunch of people and share an idea you love.
To get your creative juices flowing, here are the previous winners.
Business of Software 2010. Patrick McKenzie, 'Hello Ladies'
Business of Software 2009. Mark Stephens, 'Are you a large lizard or small and furry?'
Business of Software 2008. Alex Ohanian, 'Keeping it Real'
Don't forget, the end of the month is nigh which also means that the ticket price for Business of Software will rise by $100.
We now have about 250 places of the 380 total available sold and paid for so if you want to come, book now to save money and potential disappointment. Note that the Seaport Hotel allocation of rooms is being reserved faster than last year as well.
PLEASE DON'T DO WHAT I DO AND LEAVE IT ALL TO THE LAST MINUTE AND THEN GET ANNOYED WHEN I REALISE THE ONLY PERSON TO BLAME IS MYSELF…
Looking forward to seeing some awesome Lightning Talk ideas.